poetry

You know how it starts. A lost soul entrenched in idyllic surroundings, strings together complex and inflated words to describe what he feels is the most breathtaking sight he has ever laid his eyes on. We swoon, we gasp, we are even spellbound by such artistic and abstract representation. On the other hand it maybe the solemn musings of a scorned lover. High on a few drinks, he lets out all of his heartburn through the quill. Letting words do what he cannot. Again, we are affected profoundly by the protagonists shattering prose. But does our fickle and questioning mind ever ask, what is the point of it all? I do. Almost half-embarrassingly so.

I have to admit upfront that I’ve never seen the point of poetry. Now before you attempt go baying for my blood to refill the ink pot for your quill, read me out. It is not like I am incapable of differentiating a good poem from a useless one. But I fail to see beyond the nominal lyrical value of such an endeavour. It’s rarely of any functional value. There’s really nothing that a well written story/ article can’t express. Imagery and the acoustic sense, normally championed by poets, can very well be conveyed without the unnecessary and at times, redundant, language labyrinths. Plus with poetry, you have to write within it’s perimeters of rhyme and segmentation and can't fully express yourself. Other forms like haiku, offer much more flexibility in that sense. The biggest drawback I feel is that you need to be dramatic while writing a poem and it’s almost next to impossible to write about otherwise normal and ordinary predicaments or situations. At times the poem tends to veer off and end up far from the theme. But I guess that’s a part of writing something like that. The meaning of a poem, in the process of sounding grand and abstract, sometime gets lost as the debate between the literary and metaphorical value takes over.Pedants reading this will probably assault me on the blog title by saying that poetry is totally different from prose. As someone I know, once likened it, “Poetry is like liquor where mere prose is bloating beer.”  But that’s hardly the point.

I remember coming across this poem on some Yahoo! Answers forum a while. Sums it up quite eruditely :)

“Those poets they are a useless lot
they drink red wine and smoke wicked pot.
They alliterate and use imagery
Meditate for hours upon some bloody tree!
But who has built a house of words?
Crops are not sown by a man admiring birds
And writing that his love is lorn
His life in tatters, his heart all torn.
Pick up a spade, you lazy clods
Plant the seeds, turn the sods
Do something useful, something real!
And bury your artistic zeal”

 

photo.streetpoet700

I don’t mean to discredit all the acclaimed poets who’ve devoted their lives to poetry. Nor those who enjoy the form. It’s just not my cup of tea, that’s all. Maybe it’s because I can write a poem to save my life. Maybe it’s because I’ve never been attracted enough to try!